Smart locks - TOP 5 brands for 2023
Technology is taking over more and more with every year. Our job as a professional locksmiths is to step forword and test what are the best technological veries of locks for your home and office.
When you buy a smart lock, you want to make your life easier by using it. Smart locks come in different shapes and sizes, in some cases this means that not all locks will fit between the lock and the handle, and in the case of others, you might want to think about how a gadgety-looking lock or a keypad will fit into your home’s look.
When you choose the right lock for you, make sure you are contacting proper locksmiths to install it, becaouse slightly wonky install can leave in-built lock motors struggling for traction. Is the smart lock compatible with your environment also needs to be a considerate. Some locks can be unlocked/locked using voice assistants, while some can only be locked by hand, if you wonder what to do – contact us and we will help you decide.
Here are the TOP 5 smart locks in 2023 on our opition:
1. Nest Yale smart lock – This lock comes in two parts, one on either side of the door. The outside is the keypad, there is no space for keys, so the opening the door by the traditional method is not possible.
On the inside, the Nest x Yale looks like a large, tall deadbolt. It’s one of the most reliable locks. A downside is that they are missing features like GPS unlocking and integration with the three major smart assistants.
2. Schalge Encode – Schalge Encode is a Wi-Fi lock, requiring internet connection. It’s an excellent companion to the Ring video doorbell, and will pair with the camera and let lock or unlock the door while talking to a visitor at front door through the Ring app. There are two parts -the front facing keypad and the rear housing that contains all the electronics and mechanics.
The most practical feature is Wi-Fi, but you still can use Bluetooth to communicate when you’re nearby or the internet is down. If you want to control it away from home, there’s no need to plug in a separate hub or pay for an additional piece of hardware. Instead, you can control it remotely just using wireless router and smart phone.
3. Schalge Sence – The Schlage Sense offers a deadbolt replacement with a keypad on the outside, and Bluetooth connectivity. You can control the lock from your phone only when you’re within Bluetooth range. Like other Bluetooth-only locks, you can also get a Wi-Fi adapter, which will give your lock Wi-Fi access. The Schlage Sense is compatible with Apple’s HomeKit, Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, and also has its own app that can be used to control the lock and add access numbers with a few taps on your phone.
You wll also be able to add and remove users but you have to be in range to do that if you don’t get a Wi-Fi adapter.
4. August Smart Lock Pro + Connect – This lock looks very similar to the previous model – big, circular and bulky design hasn’t changed a lot. There’s also the DoorSense sensor, and thanks to it you’ll be able to tell if your door is fully closed or not. If it’s not, you’ll get a notification on your phone telling you that you might want to shut it properly. There’s also an auto-lock. So when you leave the house, the door will automatically lock – only if it is completely closed. Smart Lock Pro is one of the few locks that supports the Big Three: Apple’s HomeKit, Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant. You can both lock – and unlock – your door with voice commands – really a smarter than the average lock.
5. Yale Assure Lever Lock – This smart lock goes on any standard door that doesn’t have a deadbolt. So, you can add smarts to your basement door, your home office – anywhere without a handle and deadbolt pairing but no sliding doors or doors that use something other than a regular strike plate and handle combination.
It’s a simple, nice-looking lock with a lever instead of a deadbolt cylinder. The interior part is large and quite bulky, to accommodate the 4 AA batteries needed to keep it running. This lock is not very easy to install, but we have experince in installing it properly.
This lock has a ton of great use-cases in the home, and just by popping in a smart module it becomes the ideal smart lock for whatever smart home set-up you have. HomeKit, Alexa, Google, Z-Wave – it’s all on offer.